Refuse menace: Lagos calls for cooperation with govt to eliminate refuse heaps from streets

Against the backdrop of complaints from Lagos residents over heaps of refuse that have taken over the entire Lagos streets, the state government weekend called for renewed cooperation of the residents with the government, waste collection operators and Visionscape, to hasten the disappearance of refuse dumps from the streets.

The Special Adviser to Governor Akinwunmi Ambode on Cleaner Lagos Initiative CLI, Adebola Shabi, who made this call, assured that with the cooperation and collaboration of all stakeholders to the cause of CLI, the heaps of refuse on Lagos streets which have become an eyesore, would be cleared in a question of days.

Shabi who is an engineer,stated that the concerted efforts of the stakeholders will lead to an imminent total evacuation of waste from the streets, adding: “We have been engaging different stakeholders, the waste collection operators, the community development committees, market men and women, civil society groups, landlords and tenants’ associations and various NGOs in the state to assess how we have performed in the last one year.”

According to him, there are still ongoing discussions with the waste collection operators, the former PSP operators and the state government, in conjunction with Visionscape, to have as many Transfer Loading Stations, TSLs, to ease the disposal of waste in the state.

He said Olusosun dumpsite has been shut down by the governor because of the safety of the people working and living around there and the concern for public health, pointing out that: “We have been asking the trucks to go down to Ewe Elepe and Epe and we are looking at the distance, because most of the waste collectors’ trucks cannot go far.”

The Special Adviser noted that 60 per cent of waste generated in Lagos would end up at the Epe landfill while the remaining 40 per cent would be recycled and used for other purposes.

“In the next few months, Visionscape will take stock of more trucks to enhance performance in waste collection. Visionscape has already distributed over eight million garbage bags and over 400,000 garbage bins in the last two months. What we want from people living in Lagos is to generate their waste, bag their waste and drop them in front of the houses, for effective cleaning and preventive blockage of our drainage channels and canals.

“The garbage bags and bins are meant for the waste generated. So, please ensure that the wastes are being packaged and kept in front of the houses. The state government will establish plastic collection centres in 57 council areas of the state to take care of plastics being littered all over the place.

“The theme of the World Earth Day this year is plastic pollution, and that is one of the biggest menaces in the state today. So, we are going to have 57 collection centres in the state. We are going to encourage youths to bring plastics to the centres and they will be given something in return. Then the plastics will be sold to the public for reuse”, Shabi explained.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here